Friday, February 26, 2010

Forget Culture Shock

Let's talk about Chongqing Shock.  It's far more serious, recurrent, and virtually without cure.  And certainly un-operable.  In the 5 weeks since I've been gone, here is a brief list of the major changes:
  • Entire school paved with new asphalt
  • Bank of China now a fruit stand
  • Huge new building growing out of the ground
  • Enormous 50 ft high concrete wall covered with granite calligraphy
  • Delicious restaurant is gone
  • China Mobile shop converted in Fujian noodle shop (sells pig hearts, brains)
  • building outside my school knocked down
That about sums it up.  In the pictures above you can see the fruit stand, building, and a comparison on the view from my porch on a cloudy day and later that day.  In all seriousness, Chongqing can be a tough place to live sometimes.  Thankfully, I have a good friends.  And enough money to go visit Hangzhou once in a while, which has to just about be God's gift to humanity.

In other news, I am starting my own translation company, Blue Line Translation.  Please seek me for all your copious Chinese/English translation needs!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the picture of the Bank of China i.e. fruit stand is priceless. Maybe you can get it published in National Geographic. I think a translation company is a better bet than a restaurant; restaurants seem to be very mobile in Chongqing...

NworbR said...

Great Pictures, priceless commentary!

new outlook said...

More communication tools in Outlook 2010 help you stay in touch and organized. Connect with others, manage your calendar, and stay on top of your to-dos with download Outlook 2010.